Sunday, May 02, 2004

The new memorial in Washington D.C., is in honor of those who served in World War Two. We went to see the National World War Two Memorial just a few days before it opened. There were fences around part of it but you could walk around it and through one part. Lots of people were already visiting and it opened fully near the end of last week, although it won't be officially dedicated until Memorial Day weekend. I took a lot of pictures for my dad and mom. My dad is an AXPOW and has a VIP invitation to the dedication. Our concern is, given his poor and mom's questionable health, would they be ok in a probably huge crowd, hot weather, with a lack of facilities and easy access to the site? Never mind the stress of the memories, accompanying emotion and physical activity especially for my dad. Well my mom and I talked about the negatives at length first, then I switched to talking about the importance of the whole thing to my dad and how important attending the ceremonies might be to him. Maybe the hotel has plans to bus people to the site for the ceremonies and those planning the ceremonies have taken into consideration the frail condition of some of the vets. Maybe the VIP invitation has some special perks attached. A big plus is that some of their AXPOW friends are going and staying in the same hotel. She is on the fence about going but plans to contact the hotel, check through the literature and maybe call a few friends. The final thing will be how my dad feels closer to the date and whether he's up for it.

No comments: